Between November-December 2020, in the context of COVID-19 pandemic situation, the EU funded Project “Technical Assistance to Support the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) of the Republic of Moldova” continued the implementation of project activities through remote work modalities and with missions to Moldova from the project key experts.
The following main results have been achieved during the reference period:
The project has been developing and testing an integrated system of Computer-Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI), Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and Geographic Information System (GIS) for conducting household surveys and preparing the next population and housing census of the Republic of Moldova. As internationally recognised, the use of such technologies, if well designed and tested, contribute to increasing the quality of data collected in the field, by monitoring in real time the performance of interviewers and supervisors, and by reducing the statistical bias due to missing values and inconsistencies that are often present in ‘traditional’ methods of data collection based on paper questionnaires.
A very important achievement was the drafting of a methodological document with the analysis of the data on the non-observed economy already available in Moldova, and with the provision of specific recommendations on how to improve estimation methods of the nonobserved economy.
Additionally, the project has assisted the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) in implementing the revised Integrated Automated Information System (IAIS) to improve the standardisation of statistical processes. This included the development of new ICT applications for pilot surveys, for the modernisation of data collection, imputation, validation methods and dissemination tools. In this respect, the following outputs have been achieved:
- Analysis of the current Microdata model used at NBS.
- Definition of a generalised structural metadata and microdata model (TO-BE): definition of a generic structural metadata model to describe the microdata, according to the standards defined by the Generic Statistical Information Model (GSIM).
- Definition of a generic working data survey database: the database contains the data that support the production processes of the statistical outputs (e.g. sample list, micro/macro data, historical micro/macro data).
- Training on Cspro2sql and CsPro Dashboard: the experts provided training to the NBS staff on the open-source software Cspro2sql that allows to generate a microdata database parsing CSPro dictionaries.
- The experts provided also training on CsPro Dashboard, that allows to monitor in real time field work activities.
Moreover, very important achievements can be summarised as follows:
- Analysis of the current education and training system of the Republic of Moldova, as described by the 2014 Moldovan Education Code.
- Evaluation of the conformity of the ISCED mapping compiled by NBS with the international classification ISCED 2011.
- Analysis of the conformity between the NBS classification of national educational programs according to ISCED 2011 and that one followed by the Ministry of Education.