Who is Lilia Berjan?
Berjan Lilia is 18 years old and is the third year student, specializing in Vegetable and Fruit Growing, at the Center of Excellence in Horticulture and Agricultural Technologies in Ţaul. “As a child, I felt a close connection with nature, namely this field offers me the opportunity to be closer to nature. Harvesting fruits, vegetables, producing them and even the connection between people a t the selling process brings me much closer to what is important to me.”, Lilia explains why she chose her studies. Lilia’s most important thing and plan for the future is to continue her studies, but in addition, she intends to apply for grants to implement her own business plan.
How did she benefit from the DevRAM project?
Lilia participated in several activities, organized by our partners Pro Didactica:
- the study trip to Miroslava, Romania 2019, to the Technological High School to learn about the involvement of students in promoting agricultural education;
- participated with the top managers of CEHTA at the launch day of the pilot schools in July 2019;
- as a member of the Student Council, she took part in trainings for the development of communication strategies and contributed to the promotion of CEHTA through the video / photo content of school media platforms;
- participated in FARMER 2019, by actively promoting the school, in dialogue with economic agents, promoted CEHTA agri-products and was an active communicator at the Students’ Forum;
- within her specialty, she received guidance and practice in the cultivation and production of soybean in the field of Soya Demo;
- participated in the spring of 2020 with her innovative idea in the contest “The best innovative idea for soybean roduction”;
- will benefit from an improved internship among 100 students with 2 mentors (from TVET and enterprise) learning based on the skills of mentors.
“I have obtained much more knowledge than the basic one taken in educational institutions, I have broadened my views on soybean cultivation and on how profitable it can be at the moment. I found out the range of subsidies offered by the state to the young farmers, what it takes to start their own business and many other practical skills. The oratory aspect is also very important, I learned to speak in public and to build a well-cohesive and consistent speech.”, says Lilia Berjan.
The innovative idea with which she participated in the competition with, was to draw more attention to each stage and technological operation, none of which should be omitted, because we can seriously damage the quality of the soil and the land is the basis of agriculture, we must maintain its fertility and, at the same time, we should tend to always improve the quality of the soil, which will automatically lead to improved product quality. In her idea, Lilia carries out several technological aspects, to which more attention must be paid: starting with the weeding and ending with the cultivation and even the harvesting and the post-harvesting actions.
A message for partners:
“Soya is an innovative sector for us and a very profitable one, now it is used in various fields and has a high demand on the market. I believe that even now the sector of agriculture in Moldova is rather developed, compared to previous decades, but I am sure that in the future more resources will be invested in this direction. We are an agrarian country and we have to focus on this,” says Lilia.
“I would also like to tell the students that if we lay the foundation for a prosperous agriculture and develop it, Moldova will become prosperous. If we start these changes, I think they will also spread at a country level. If we learn to look at the challenges, not in terms of difficulties, shortcomings, but in terms of opportunities – we will succeed.”
Likewise, Lilia is very grateful to the DevRAM and Pro Didactica project for organizing highlevel events, for equipping them with all the necessary materials and technologies. She would like as many events of this kind as possible, in which students can participate, more study visits and interaction with successful farmers and entrepreneurs in the sector, in order to get involved in the labour market and to learn as much as possible things from practice and experience.