The regional workshop on the implementation of Eco-Industrial Parks (EIP) in the Eastern Partnership (EaP) “A transition to Eco-Industrial Parks, from theory to practice” was organised on 2 December 2020. The goal was to promote the concept of the Eco-Industrial Parks and share experience in the region, under the auspices of UNIDO within the EU4Environment Programme.
The main outcome of the workshop was to raise the awareness among key stakeholders about the benefits of applying the EIP Framework in the EaP and Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia (EECCA) region. Over the past few decades, the creation of industrial parks has been recognised as an efficient way to bring together industrial, commercial, and infrastructure-related activities as well as services.
Industrial Parks (IP) provide an institutional framework for creating modern services and a physical (and often even social) infrastructure, which otherwise might not be available in the country. The concentration of companies can foster innovation, technological learning, and company growth as well as lead to jobs creation and social development. As IPs are successfully contributing to high growth regions and national economic development, the economies of scale in the supply of services and facilities reduce the costs for companies. However, the economic gains often come at the cost of environmental quality within and around the industrial estates. Environmental, risk management, and sustainability considerations must be thus integrated into the planning and construction of IPs.
The workshop objectives were as follows:
- To raise awareness among key stakeholders in the Eastern Partnership and Central Asian countries on the approach and benefits of implementing the eco-industrial parks;
- To share international experiences i n the implementation of EIPs;
- To bring together decision-makers, specialis ed professionals, and members of academia to tap into possible synergies amongst institutions;
The participants learned:
- Key concepts pertaining to EIPs;
- Instruments for the application of the International EIP Framework;
- Examples of the application of EIPs.
For details please access: https://www.eu4environment.org/events/workshop-on-theimplementation-of-eco-industrial-parks/